Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Same Old Same Old? or A Whole New World?

While listening to Radio Disney this weekend, I was struck by how little things had changed since I was a tween and young teen, lo these many years ago. “I will love only you forever and ever.” “Love me for who I really am.” “I can’t live without your love.” “I’m really special inside where no-one can see.” “I’m for real, and I hate phonies” “You done me wrong.” “Baby, it feels so right when I’m with you.” And so it goes. Idealism, extreme emotions, high drama, focus on the self, and a deep desire to both fit in and be unique fill the songs that fill Radio Disney. These are the same themes that have been the hallmark of teen music for decades.

In addition to the music, much of the programming and promotion on Radio Disney had a very familiar feel to it. There were interviews with stars, contests—“Be the third caller and you could win…”—request lines, relentlessly upbeat disc jockeys, and young people on the phone trying very hard to sound very cool. Although I was trying to call the radio station from a Princess phone and today’s teens are calling from cell phones, the desire to be on the radio has not changed. Although my personal heartthrobs were Mark Lindsey and David Cassidy (much though I cringe to admit it) rather than the Jonas Brothers, the passionate adoration and desire to know every single possible detail about that person’s likes and dislikes are not very different today than they were when I was young.

And yet, some things are very different than they were. I used to have to listen to a song over and over and over again to try and figure out what the lyrics were. There were endless debates: did he say “Rolled up like a deuce” or “Rolled up like a douche”? (How sophisticated we thought we were to be able to say that work without giggling…) Nowadays, the lyrics are there for you with a click if you want them. I’m not entirely sure why that seems important to me, but it does. I’d welcome others’ thoughts on whether this instant availability of the lyrics matters.

When a radio station had a limited broadcast range it could only reach the people within its area of service. There was at least the possibility that popular songs or singers could vary from region to region. The capacity of Radio Disney to reach the whole nation instantly probably increases the homogeneity of popular music. The same songs and stars will be hits in New York, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles all at the same time.

Although there was some crossover between TV and music stars, i.e., David Cassidy, for the most part, music, movie and TV stars were different people. A musician followed one route to success and needed one particular set of people to back him or her, while a TV actor followed another route and needed a different set of people. The people who owned radio stations and music labels were not the same people who owned TV stations. But now, Miley Cyrus is a music/movie/TV juggernaut. Her TV show feeds demand for her music and her music and TV show promote her movies. Several of the songs I listened to this weekend were from the soundtrack of a soon to be released movie. There isn’t as much separation between entertainment venues as I remember.

I have heard it argued that the Internet would have a democratizing influence on music; anyone could get their music out there and find a following. Radio Disney seems to be an example of the opposite effect. By playing to young people’s desire to be on top of whatever is cool at the moment and being able to blitz the whole country with the few songs and singers that its owners deem to be marketable, Radio Disney has an enormously powerful effect on what tweens and teens listen to.

The idea of big corporations dictating what kind of music is available was also brought forth in the “Hip-Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes” and “The Way the Music Died” websites. This possibility bothers me a little less in those cases though, because they deal with music aimed more at adults. The argument that recording companies won’t buy hip-hop music with honorable or inspirational lyrics, that hip-hop musicians perform violent or homophobic songs because that is what sells has, in my opinion, some validity to it. If hundreds of thousands of people pay good money to buy songs with lyrics that I happen to think are hateful, it seems a little pointless to wring my hands and complain about the record companies or recording artists. As a society, we get the music we pay for, and if don’t like what is being paid for, we should probably think about why our culture values such songs.

Marketing to children though, may be a little different, simply because kids are developmentally more inclined to follow the herd. The need to fit in is so great at this age that it makes me a little uncomfortable to think of such a small group of people whose only motive is profit having such great influence. Having said that, though, I wonder what the solution would be. I would be very interested in knowing what others think about kids and music and marketing. Is anyone else troubled? Or am I over-reacting? Perhaps just another older person worrying needlessly about “young people these days?” In any event, spending time with Radio Disney was a very interesting and thought provoking experience.

1 comment:

  1. I also love the availability of lyrics online, and I often make a quick search to see if I really heard what I thought I heard! There are a lot of amateur "translations," so you do have to make sure you land on a copy of the lyrics that are a true transcription! :)

    I remember when I was doing part-time work in a day care a million years or so ago, and a child in the 4-year-old room started singing Britney Spears' "One More Time." I just about passed out. I asked her if she knew her ABC's yet, and when she said she didn't, I told her that maybe she could try singing the alphabet song to practice instead! What I was expecting from Radio Disney (just because of what my own experience with Disney products is) was along those lines: classic kids' songs sung by Disney characters and Disney movie tunes. Imagine my surprise when Justin Bieber (featuring Ludacris!) was the first artist I heard!

    I cringed my way through my Radio Disney half hour (although I'll try the preschool hour today with my little one just to give it another chance), but part of that is that I've never really listened to regular, popular music. I grew up on the classical records my mom bought at the grocery store with her collected stickers (to which we performed countless interpretive dances, my sister and I!), the stock reports on our local radio station (my dad was a dairy farmer in another life), and, finally, contemporary Christian radio (when a friend at school introduced me to the concept of tuning my own radio)! I started playing trumpet (the violin I thought I wanted to play wasn't available in our small, rural school district, which is lovely since I'm not really that musically gifted) in grade school, and I moved through the usual progression of Hot Cross Buns to stage band music (my first introduction to Man in the Mirror and Louie, Louie) to jazz band and orchestra in college. My favorite music these days is Superchick (a teen-focused Christian music group to whom I didn't become attached until I was all grown-up and married, possibly because they were what I would have listened to as a kid but they didn't exist yet, possibly because I listen to them as a teacher and parent who wants kids to hear their message) and old big band recordings (Glenn Miller and the other band leaders we used to play in high school and college jazz band). Reading the Jourdain chapter made me wonder what my "cognitive preference" is and when I settled into my musical leanings...it definitely wasn't in the 10-12 year old range he discussed because I was still in my classical-dance-party phase at that time! :) I think a lot of parents don't have the inclination to expose their kids to different kinds of music (whether because they don't see the value or they just want to listen to what they like when they do listen), and it falls upon schools and fine arts organizations to offer up the variety needed for a child to make good decisions about musical taste. They're certainly not going to find that variety in the top 40!

    ReplyDelete