Saturday, April 24, 2010

Facebook for Boomers

Thanks to Anna, Shawna and Patrick for their posts on Facebook privacy. Each one of them gave me something different to think about. Anna told me that younger people are more savvy regarding their privacy, which is ironic since we are continually talking about protecting our children. Shawna taught me that I can customize my privacy settings so that even though I’ve friended someone, I don’t have to give them access to my entire life. (Not that much of my life is on Facebook, but more on that later!) Patrick pointed out that knowing how to use new technology does not mean understanding it. Good point.

I’m one of those older folks, older being a totally relative term (my parents are on Facebook too, at age 80), who has only been on Facebook for about 2 years. My sole reason for starting a profile was to be able to see what my grandson was doing. His mom is great about posting almost every day about what they are going to do for the day, what cute, profound statement he made and/or what she found interesting in the news. In order not to be overwhelmed, I did what I suspect many older people do, I just plunged into Facebook, set my privacy settings without thinking about it, and I was off! However, now that this subject came up in our blog, I rechecked my privacy settings and found out I did ok going in blind. The only things I allow everyone into are my search result on Facebook and in search engines, and allowing anyone to add me as a friend or send me a message. All of my posts, IM screen name, birthday, likes and interests, etc. are for friend’s eyes only. I’m considering making searches for me more private but have to think about it. I do want people from my childhood or former jobs to be able to locate me if they look for me.

My main concern with Facebook is not what I post, but what people can see that my friends post. Is that even possible? One of my sons is uber liberal and outspoken. Even though I consider myself liberal, he posts things on Facebook that I really don’t want future employers seeing, not even my friends seeing for that matter! However, he doesn’t post them on my wall, so I think I’m ok. I welcome comments on this topic from the more Facebook-educated of us.

As for my postings, well, I can count on one hand how many posts I have made. I respond to others’ posts but only two or three times have I posted something on my own wall. When I use Facebook, I feel guilty because I use it to peer into the lives of my loved ones although my kids are well aware of my voyeurism and don’t care. I think posting is a mindset that you grow up with. I don’t know too many people my age who post things about their day on a regular basis. It seems to be those 25 and younger who post all the time. Mostly, we “older” folks use it to keep up with family and friends.

Anyway, it’s an interesting topic and amazing technology. I agree with Patrick that we cannot assume that just because someone uses Facebook, and/or are 25 years old or less, that they know what they are doing and are being as private as they like. I too would love to see some classes in social networking privacy and etiquette.

2 comments:

  1. Sue, I'm sometimes afraid I'm being all Twitterish about my posting (despite the fact that I'm well over 25!)...but as a stay-at-home mom in a new town with few local friends, I sometimes feel the urgent need to share things(mostly about my child, but some venting issues) with a network of people who might just care and give me quick feedback/advice/commiseration/etc.! (And calling or texting my husband every time I needed to say something would probably not be helpful to his workday or his sanity!) Our family all lives far away, and this is by far the most efficient and immediate way of keeping up with each other. (And if my other friends get tired of hearing what my precocious little wonder has done lately...they can always hide my posts from their feed!) :) (Oh, and I don't _think_ other people can see what your friends post unless they post it to your wall or tag you in the post, but if they click on that friend's name, their privacy settings--not yours--determine what that other person can see. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawna, Yours sound like the kind of posts that I love as a grandmother and aunt. I even enjoy hearing about my kid's friends and their kids. I encourage you to keep putting smiles on the faces of those you love.

    ReplyDelete