Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Some Scattered Thoughts on Copyright and Privacy


Copyight & Choking Creativity

Lessig’s TED presentation on copyright law certainly resonated with me, and left me with much to think about. While I very much respect where he is coming from, I have several concerns about his proposed solutions.

Corporations not Creators Own Copyrights

First, he argues that artists and creators should allow more freely available content into the marketplace. This makes sense, and I agree that this is necessary for movement toward his vision of a “legal” read-write society. What I question, however, is whether in today’s economy artists and creators are really in control of their work. Often artists sign away their rights (or at least some of their rights) to corporations –agencies, publishers, record labels, etc. While they may still gain profit from their work and have some limited control over how the work is used, it is the corporation that must give permission and make the content freely available. It is the corporation that will sue if copyright infringement occurs, and it is the corporation that has a vested interest in making sure the content is not freely available.

Copyright is Confusing

Lessig alludes to Creative Commons in his presentation, though he doesn’t go into a discussion of it. I strongly support the ideals of Creative Commons. However, I don’t see it as a feasible solution that will end “Copyright abolitionism” that is so rampant among youth (and many others), simply for the fact that it is too confusing. If you are remixing 10 movie clips with a song plus multiple photographs, and perhaps look at 100s of objects to decide which is best for your creation, think how time consuming and limiting it is to try to figure out the allowances and restrictions that are on each individual item. Even with Creative Commons labeling, it can be extremely difficult to discern how and when the item can be used, who to ask for permission, etc. I just don’t see young people taking the time to investigate this for each item.

I agree with Lessig that in this “Age of Prohibitions” youth will continue to be driven (or choose to) live life “against the law” simply because it is too hard and limiting to follow the law, and because the risk of prosecution is relatively low. The lessons of a previous age of Prohibition (remember speakeasys?) showed that in the end it was necessary to reconsider the law because it was impossible to prosecute everyone who has breaking the law, and only the gangsters and bootleggers were profiting. I wonder if digital copyright law might not be a similar case.


Does Participating in Society Today Mean Forgoing Privacy?

I’ve been thinking lately about the ways in which privacy is defined and does or doesn’t exist in today’s society. I have recently received a spate of privacy policy statements in the mail from various credit cards, banks, and businesses that I use the services of. In order to participate with nearly any business or web site, or to have a presence in the online world, etc., etc. we must sign away certain rights to our personal information. Many of us do this without thinking—often feeling that we don’t have a choice. And in many ways, I don’t think we do. How can one really avoid putting their information into the public sphere without becoming a recluse?

Even if you were able to somehow avoid working with any business or organization that had access to personal information, you would still be confronted with the massive amounts of public surveillance that goes on worldwide. I can’t remember ever signing or seeing a privacy policy about how an ATM or convenience store or city street camera can use my image. While generally these images are only released upon a crime being committed, how are images being stored, by who, and for how long? Is there any law saying that the owner of that surveillance tape could not use it to make a profit? If a celebrity sits down in a restaurant with someone who is not their spouse, could that restaurant sell the tape to a gossip outlet like TMZ?

I realize I am stretching things a bit here, but it is an interesting question. How much of our right to privacy do we give up just by leaving our house, whether virtually or physically? How much right to privacy should we expect to have in the public sphere? And will the legacy of our culture in the distant future be the massive amounts of surveillance images that we are leaving behind?

Also wanted to share this link to an intriguing map about surveillance from http://www.privacyinternational.org/. I was going to post a copy of the picture here, but decided in the light of copyright discussions this week, I would just link to it.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about the funky formatting on this post! At first it was all tiny print that couldn't be read, so after spending about an hour getting it to his point I decided to leave it as is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie,

    What does the word privacy even mean these days? Can we really say that anything is private anymore? I think about this all the time and in some ways am quite paranoid about it. You mention surveillance images being collected and stored by ATM and convenience store cameras and you're right: I never gave permission for that, though supposedly it's being used in the event of a crime, which I'm all for, but where does it go if there isn't a crime? Same thing goes with text messages and phone calls: somewhere out there exists a master list of all the phone calls and text messages that I've ever sent and received and it can be retrieved if need be. I'm not on Facebook for the sole reason that it makes me feel like I have absolutely no privacy in my life. I hate that long after this class is done, my words will still be out here naked for everyone to see. Just two weeks ago both my debit and credit card were compromised and I have absolutely no idea how: did the swipe of my card through the card scanner at Safeway or the gas station somehow compromise it? Or was it one of my regular purchases on iTunes? I will never know how it happened and at this point I don't even know how much of my information has been leaked and gathered i.e. SS#s, passwords, etc from my bank account. To do anything in and with the Army, you have to use your sponsor's (the person who is enlisted, which would be my husband in my situation) SS# for identification--I can't tell you how many times a month I have to give out both my husband's and my own SS# to access information and services from the military. In fact, both of our SS#s are located in plain sight on my civilian military I.D.--the same I.D. I have to flash to get on base, to make a purchase at the PX or Commissary, and to prove that I am a dependent of an enlisted soldier so that I can receive any sort of medical care. Just think how many eyes pass over that ever so powerful identification number everyday! I mean not to be paranoid, but it's food for thought. Once words leave your lips or your fingertips, it's out there and it's being recorded by ears, eyes, you cell phone company, you bank, your e-mail provider, and it can and in some cases will be used for or against you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *your cell phone company, *your bank, sorry!

    ReplyDelete