Sunday, May 2, 2010

Books and Video Games

As someone who enjoys playing video games and enjoys reading, I'm a bit conflicted after reading the New York times article "Using Video Games as Bait to Hook Readers" by Motoko Rich. I think that there are different things to be learned and enjoyed when either reading a book or some other print artifact and when playing a video game. Sometimes, interesting and useful information is acquired when playing video games. Those of us who were in elementary school in the 90s remember playing Number Munchers, and we all know about the perils of cholera and dysentery not from experience in real-life but from losing random family members and friends to those ills while traveling along the Oregon Trail. Using video games to try to encourage students to read books, however, is quite different indeed though from what those video games were trying to do.

The joy of reading books comes from not only the ability to escape to other worlds, see the world through the eyes of other people or creatures, and perform feats that we have never nor will ever perform but also in the ability to see those worlds and experience those things in any way that we'd like. Even though books describe the characters and settings, there is still the freedom to fill in the details in any way the reader would like. So, for example, even if we all read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, we all will imagine Narnia differently. That’s definitely part of the fun of reading; you can, to some extent, augment and change the story as you see fit. That changes, however, when you move to visual mediums like games and movies. A big complaint over the Harry Potter movies was that things were left out or were changed in some way. The mediums simply afford different things. Movies and games have to define how things look and how characters speak and move. A little less is left up to the imagination.

One thing that is cool about video games that is not a part of most books or print material is the ability to affect how the story progresses and ends. Books have one ending. Someone wrote the story, someone edited it, it was copied and printed several times over, and we bought one or more of those copies to consume the story. A similar story could be told about movies. With video games, however, though there are programmed movements and programmed endings, one usually determines how the story progresses and which one of the pre-programmed endings is accomplished. So, it feels as if one has a bit more control over the process. There are some books that allow that though. I used to love reading the choose-your-own-ending Goosebumps books when I was a kid. You remember those books where if you made one decision you went to page x but if you made another decision you’d go to page y, right? Those were awesome, especially the Goosebumps books because it was always a crazy decision like jumping off a cliff and landing in some bushes below or stabbing a monster in the eye and trying to run away before he retaliated. I'd always die rather quickly, which I guess means that I'm a poor decision-maker under stressful situations, but after dying, I'd always go back and switch up my decision to see what would have happened otherwise. It was a lot of fun and sort of game-like in nature, but it was still a book. I could visualize what the monsters looked like in my mind in any way desired, and I could interpret the book’s events in any way that fit the images that I had created in my head using the author’s words. I'm not so certain that that is always the case with video games.

In addition to everything mentioned above, I think a bit of my hesitation in using video games to get more kids reading lies in the fact that video game tie-ins rarely seem to work well. The games seem to be things thrown together after successful books and movies and not something on which much thought has been given. There are some exceptions to this, as the Avatar movie and video game were both developed simultaneously. So, perhaps more thoughtful and enjoyable tie-ins are to be seen in the future, but I'm not a believer right now. Besides, kids seem to be reading these days, and not just short books, but bible-sized books like the books in the Harry Potter series. I'm not convinced that kids don't like to read these days; it just seems like they need good stories to read. If the story is good, regardless of length, they seem to be reading. Even stories that aren’t that great, e.g., the Twilight books, are still widely and voraciously read. Okay, maybe the Twilight books aren’t that bad! But they prove that kids really are interested in reading; we just have to make the effort to write and deliver stories worth reading. We don't have to trick or cajole them with games.

Both books and games are great teaching tools in their own right and can teach kids many things in different ways. As opposed to using one to convince kids to use the other, we should exploit their affordances to teach kids about information in the most natural way possible with the chosen medium.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post, Brittany. I agree with you that books and video games are two very different things, and I have grown fairly tired of hearing about video games as "bait"--if we're going to use them in libraries or schools, I think it is important to identify the strengths and learning that can come from video games themselves rather than linking them to other, dissimilar media.

    I don't think that the video game-book duality has be to an either/or choice. This quote from the article particularly irked me: “'I actually think reading is pretty great and can compete with video games easily,' said Mark S. Seidenberg, a professor at the University of Wisconsin in Madison who specializes in reading research. 'So rather than say, ‘Oh, books are irrelevant in the modern era because there are all these other media available,’ I would ask shouldn’t we be doing a better job of teaching kids how to read?'”

    Number one, our school systems already spend years of classroom time and a large quantity of money on teaching kids to read. Rightly so, we have made reading and writing top priorities in education. Think about all of the reading instruction you have had over your life -- it would probably add up to years and years! I actually agree with him on the point that video games shouldn't necessarily be used as bait to lead to books if reading is really our goal. However, I think there is a lot that video games can offer (this article didn't do a great job of illustrating this, but others including James Paul Gee and Marc Prensky have), such as logic and reasoning skills, semiotic domain knowledge, technological proficiency, and critical thinking, that will be crucial for workers in the 21st century. Does using video games (which are already immensely popular and which kids are already playing) mean that we can't continue to value and teach reading? I don't think so. I also agree with you, Brittany, that co-opting video games to advance an educational or literacy agenda likely will not have good results.

    As a side note, this professor happens to work at U of Wisconsin-Madison, which has some of the world's top video games in education researchers - I wonder if he's ever taken a look at their research, or spent time playing video games for that matter.

    I think what has inspired me to consider video games as learning tools is witnessing just how thoughtful, engaged, motivated, and critical kids can be when they are playing video games. The same kids that roll their eyes when talking about books, will immerse themselves in story worlds for hours on end, research solutions, problem solve through collaboration, etc. etc. when playing games. I wanted to harness this engagement and motivation as an educator, which has led me to where I am now. I recently presented a workshop at a conference called "Beyond Bait"- and I think we really do need to get beyond the mindset of bait if we are going to effectively and meaningfully harness the power of video games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked both your responses to this article, Brittany and Maggie. I agree with Brittany that “kids really are interested in reading; we just have to make the effort to write and deliver stories worth reading. We don't have to trick or cajole them with games.” I’ve seen this in my own experience, as my boys really enjoy the 39 clues series but don’t seem that interested in the game. They’ve tried it, but don’t go back to it. I also agree with Maggie that video games have worth in their own right – they don’t have to be used as bait. I’d love to see your presentation sometime Maggie, as I have a lot to learn in this area. It sounds like there is real research being done on video games and learning, but how is this transmitted to librarians. I know where to go to look for book reviews, but where do I go for video game reviews? If video games are worthy and belong in our library collections, we still need to make choices. We should have criteria for selection . . . popularity being one factor and quality another. I know that my personal bias is against first person shooters (I don’t really enjoy violent books or movies either), but are there some of these games that are “better” than others? How would I go about the selection process? I really enjoyed the TED talk with the creator of Spore – it made me want to play that game. And games which build creativity are just more appealing to me. I was looking at games in a store just yesterday and noticed that the Spore game for the Wii (the platform we own at home) is marketed (from the jacket copy) as a battle type game – pick and choose your weapons to create the ultimate warrior type thing, then try them out in the arena. This sounded so different from the computer game described in the TED talk that I walked over to that area to look at the original Spore – which looked much more like the description I remembered. Why the need to change for different platforms? Is world-building just not exciting enough, or is it more for one player and the Wii is multi-player? Though I’d love the chance and the time to play and try out all the games, that’s not really feasible . . . and neither is reading every single book in the library collection. So any suggestions as to the best sources for reviews?

    ReplyDelete